21 December 2005

Tickety Boom

today is my dad's 60th birthday. i took him to a U of M game last month to celebrate... we both love the games... it was a nice surprise and a special treat. today, well, this morning, while he was still snoring away, i decorated the house (i.e. put up a scooby doo "happy birthday" banner) and left his "traditional" birthday gift on his chair.

my dad is really really bad about wrapping Christmas gifts. when i was younger, i used to do it for him - for extra cash. lately, though, my time has been scarce and i'm lucky to get my own gifts wrapped (more than half of my holiday giving this year is "wrapped" in holiday and seasonal themed lunch bags... and yes, i know how horrible that is, but i figured it's the last year before the baby REALLY notices how important the wrapping is and i should capitalize on it while i have the fleeting opportunity), and instead of tapping dad for a few spare bucks, every year, on his birthday, he gets a box (or in this case, 2) full of gift bags. this year i have added some adorable decorative boxes and a special treat of pretty little gift tags.

the first time i did it, i felt lame... that is until my dad's face lit up, knowing that he wouldn't be subjected to hours of back breaking gift wrapping. then i felt like a total rock star in the world of gifts. and my opinion is, if it works, let it work. so, every year now dad can hold off on much of his wrapping until after his birthday, and i have a safe, acceptable, and appreciated gift for my dad "in the bag"

happy birthday daddy...

No comments: