14 December 2005

barometer hed

yesterday afternoon it started getting really bad.
the headache grew from just my sinusey places to cover the back of my head. by evening, it had reached past my shoulders, down my back, and into my hips.

we have "weather" coming... and from the pain, i'd say a fairly decent amount of it. the forecast calls for a couple of inches of snow tonight and another 1 or 2 tomorrow. that feels about right.
just for the record, the worst weather headaches come from fast moving fronts... the ones that sneak up on us like anything.
i had one right after my daughter was born when a spring thunderstorm barreled through our county and others in record time... but man was it a doozie.
the other, and i think most horrible (though it could be just because of the timing), was Christmas Eve 2002. there was absolutely NO snow forecasted. we thought for sure it was going to be one of those miserable brown Christmases... after work that day (yes, I used to work on Christmas Eve - it was a half day) a few co-workers and i went out for a quick lunch before embarking on our more filial plans. by the time i left the restaurant my head was roaring. by the time i got home to get ready to go to my aunt's house, i was thinking i shouldn't. half way through dinner i had to go upstairs and have a lie down because everything was blurry. i left early that night... went home and soaked my head in a hot bath until the water got cold... went to bed, over medicated and in tears. i woke up at about 7 the next morning to no less than 5 inches of snow that had fallen between midnight and 4 in the morning... a regular DUMP of snow... a fast moving front.

not to say that it doesn't have its advantages. i CAN fairly accurately predict if we have "weather" coming, and usually how severe it will be.

in today's case, i knew before i heard the news that we could expect snow within 30 hours of the onset of my headache.

still... given the choice, i'd prefer to rely on the weatherman.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

That's funny--my husband has Barometer Head. That's even what we call it! It is a royal pain in the....well, in the head!

Let me know if you come across any ways to reverse the phenomenon; we've tried everything!