15 November 2005

ugh-lee day

man oh man is it ugly outside.

the sky looks almost lavender it's so full of cloud/rain/mist/slog or whatever it's doing out there.

i have access to memory now, and by virtue of being once again able to store files i'm back to the grindstone and feeling like i'm being eroded by work. it's hell catching up after a day of slack.

my mood is fading to the color of the sky - between work whacking out and life crapping all over my hubby right now (job sucks, job hunt sucks, stress abounds...) - if i owned a company (which necessarily would be small, but even if it were a mega company) I would allow my employees to have bad weather and/or mental health days or maybe both. I'd likely be mean about them though (at least mean through an employee's eyes) and say - "look, you get one mental health day a month. you can't borrow from next month, and you can't carry over from last month. if you don't need it, don't take it. if you do need it, it's there." bad weather days would be different, because they'd get the same days i would take, so i'd just make a phone call the night before - or early in the morning saying "i'm not coming in, don't risk your sanity or health by wasting your time on the road." my imaginary employees would likely end up with more days off than they needed, because i live on a private road that's mostly inhabited by people with trucks (they have more ground clearance than my little car) who can get out through higher snow than i can, so the plows don't come down the road unless we call, and they never call because they can all get out... it's just me and maybe another person or two who suffers when the snow is bad.

i need a mental health day today...
since there's no snow.

yet

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I come work for you?

As an imaginary employee of a company that does not yet exist, I have the power to accomplish all sorts of administrative feats before they are asked of me, and I'm pretty sure that as this imaginary employee, I would come with a complete Starbuck's coffee franchise (at no additional charge) with snappy barista's and a spunky order-taker named Zoe.

Can I interview on the 29th??

xoxoxo
--Kim R

Kassi Gilbert said...

I worked at a mental health clinic, and yes they allowed "mental health days"...which we partook of quite frequently, but it was probably the best job I have ever had.

fin said...

Kim - you are HIGHLY qualified for the position of imaginary employees (did I mention we'd have a wet bar as well???) and there's no need to interview... you're hired.

Kassi - apart from the mental health days what made it a great job? As you know, I'm still deciding on what to be when I grow up and I'm interested in as much feedback as I can get from anyone anywhere who ever loved a job...