04 March 2005

On Responsibility

About two months ago my family and I moved out of our rented house and into my parents' home. It was a decision that made sense on many levels, and fortunately, still does.

When I moved out - the beginning of the dead of winter here in Michigan - I called the Energy company to advise them of my upcoming move.
In all of my previous moves, the Landlord had had a Landlord/Tennant policy with the Energy company... it made it easy... I told them the date I was moving out, and on that day the bill reverted to my Landlord's policy. In this instance it was not the case. And here we were, nearing the dead of winter... and it gets cold near the dead of winter, here in Michigan.
Knowing that homes without energy at this time of year often suffer the tragedy of frozen and bursting water pipes, I told the Energy company that rather than leaving the house without energy, and facing the worry of freezing pipes, I would advise my Landlord, at the Handover of the Keys that the Energy company would need to be notified that the bill should be switched from my name, and for kindness' sake, asked them not to turn off the energy on the first of the following month.
When we handed over the keys, I informed the Landlord of the understanding with the Energy company, and was warmly thanked for my thoughtfulness.

Some cynic once said that "no good turn goes unpunished."

About a month later I received a $250 bill from the Energy company . I promptly called the Landlord and left a message that something was amiss. Later that night, after receiving no return call, I called again to discover that not only had my first message gone missing (dubious), but that there must also have been some mix up at the Energy company. I was advised that the Landlord had indeed attempted to tranfer the service out of my name... but that something must have been misunderstood. The conversation was closed with renewed assurances that the mix up would be amended and the bill paid.

See there Mr. Cynic... all taken care of. It was just a mix up and I was NOT being punished.

Yesterday I received a phone call from the Energy company.
The electronic voice in the message informed me that my service has been disconnected, and that for my convenience, there were a number of ways that I could pay my outstanding bill by phone.

Yes, yes, I suppose I was a bit hasty with my optimism...

Livid, but maintaining some self control, I called the Landlord's voicemail again. I ased if there was some reason that I was still being held responsible for a bill that I was assured would be paid. The voicemail didn't respond.

I left work, went home, collected family members for moral support in the decision to remove upwards of 8 inches of length from my hairs, and headed out.

On my return, I was advised that the Landlord had called and left a confirmation number for the bill in question and the message containing a lame excuse for not paying the bill. I am to rest assured, now, that the matter has been handled and my life can return to the normal worries of my own legitimate debts.

Later today I'm calling the Energy company.
I'm confirming the confirmation number.

I'm being responsible.

No comments: