09 March 2005

Evil Genius Learns Italian

I'm a generally reasonable woman. I understand that mistakes are made. I'm not even all that demanding when they are made... I simply expect what can be fixed to be taken care of.

So, for my husband's birthday, I ordered some books... actually just two books. One that he wanted and one that was my own little surprise. The gift was, even at it's onset, a little disappointing because the books didn't arrive in time for his birthday, but that was ok... I printed up the pictures of them and gave him those. He was pleased enough.

The book he wanted - Electronic Gadgets for the Evil Genuis
The book I selected - Sneaky uses for everyday things

We received the book I selected and a lovely Barnes and Noble selection of Listen and Learn Italian.

Uh, yeah.

So, whatever, I call the customer service number they provide on the invoice - 1-800 - THE-BOOK (with no numeric equivalent, I might add - I hate that) and spend the better part of a half hour trying to navigate their voicemail system and get the boy (Dave - which I do not believe is his real name... Did you know that Gateway phone staff are encouraged to create pseudonym's for their phone persona?) to send me a return label and explain clearly why he's going to bill me again for a book I've already purchased.

When it was all done - mostly to my satisfaction - I got on with my day. When I checked my e-mail, however, I discover that there's an order pending (I knew that would be there) to which a shipping fee was applied. This took me QUITE by surprise as I was informed that one of the times he put me on hold was for the express purpose of obtaining a waiver for the shipping fee.

I called back and spoke with Michelle (again, probably not her real name) who advised me that this is the way they do all their orders and that the billing that will go through to my credit card will not include the $3.99 shipping.

"And if my credit card statement does include it?" I enquired.

Appparently all I have to do is call their customer service center and they'll take care of me.

Uh, yeah.

No comments: