24 August 2006

the secret truth

is that i really want my daughter to find and plow through all of my various notebooks, journals, sketch pads, and other detritus when i'm gone and realise:

that everything she ever thought about me all those years we were being crazy together
all the times she thought i was a monster
every time she imagined i was slightly off balance
whenever she believed i was touched by passion or madness

she was right.
i sincerely hope that during the course of our lives together she sees the truth of me, i certainly intend to share it with her. at the same time though, i also wish - - or maybe hope - - that when i am gone and all she has of a tangible me is maybe a lock of hair (or one of those really cool rings) and my books and books and books of scrawl, that the same truth of me surrounds her.

so i write things and draw things and scribble (though not as often as i want) in book after book after book. building the written legacy of my love.

1 comment:

Kimba said...

You have always been such a complex person, I can't imagine your daughter becoming anything less because of you. And trust me, when you start to doubt, that's when you'll see in your daughter that she really does get you...the real you...and will be so proud of her momma, because she is HER momma. Stay beautiful angel!