23 August 2006

girley up

i am not much of a girley girl - - oh sure, every now and again i like to wear makeup, or perfume (always vanilla at the bottom) and even sometimes a skirt and a flirty pair of shoes - - but in general, i'm a little more earthy than girley.

for some reason, though, over the past few weeks, my finger nails have been growing. growing like rabbits breed. and, truth be told, i like having the length to gently scratch along my daughter's back, or skritch along the back of my husband's neck, and under the kitty's chinney chin chin. the nails, you see, enable me to bring finger-nailey-comforts to those i love.

the other thing about finger nails - - mine in particular - - is that they're not very strong, or thick. they need, if i want to keep them, reinforcement. namely, lacquer. typically i would just throw on a coat of clear and move along, but recently - - like the every now and again- - i've been of a mind to paint them in the girliest of rosy hues (today is the tamest of the lot, being a sandy beigey pink). this is extremely unfortunate for me, because i also cannot leave it alone. one chip and i'm nipping away at the flaked up nail digging the paint off, working on destroying the other nails... it's a wreck.

oh - and a nasty side effect of the girley nails? the overwhelming urge to wear lip gloss... and if you're going to wear lip gloss, probably you should put just a little color on your eyes - and then some mascara... and once you've gone that far, your skin could use a dusting of powder to control the shine, and probably your brows need a little tending to... and then, well, look at yourself, you're all dolled up in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt... what on earth have you done?

it really is that vicious, this cycle of mine.

i buy my nail polish from DHC (home of my skincare "regimen") (today i'm wearing B07) and my makeup from a company called Tarte (my favorite is their dual ended lip gloss in Fred and Ginger).

in other news, i've just started carrying my MOLESKINE sketchbook around with me. it was a gift from my husband. i'm going to be using it to capture my thoughts on scare crows, pig-people, and other things halloweeney.

No comments: