06 February 2006

the blizzard that didn't - take two


let me just say this first and foremost - ugh

first - because i'm actually resorting to "talking about the weather"
second - because the weather just so isn't

and now the rundown

Friday C.O.B.
in a mad rush to hit the ladies room before leaving for the 1 hour commute home, someone in an equally mad rush (heaven forfend) to make it back to her office, very unceremoniously ran into me on my way out of the elevator. beyond almost peeing my pants, i did a quick sprain on my right ankle (the "strong" one) and hobbled my way to the ladies'. and out to the car. and in to the house once i finally got home.

Saturday Antics
the weather folk said we were supposed to have a doozie of a snowstorm. my head was - for the most part - in concurrence, as was my recently twisted (i downgraded from sprain because apart from the nearly falling on my face incident at potty time at 3am, i actually could walk so it didn't warrant true sprain classification) ankle. anyway, because of the numerous harbingers of precipitous doom, i decided that i needed to do the weekend grocery shopping sooner than later. this, ruefully, meant alone, as my husband was still at his parents' house and my mom is currently indisposed with a back strain that if not treated gently could disable her at any moment. when i say alone, you know, i mean alone with the baby (who would, i believe, gnaw through the sheet metal of my car door before missing an opportunity to go "shopping" - even just grocery shopping). she was an angel, btw, in the store (and on the drives to and from!). i'm convinced this good behaviour was entirely the result of her awareness of my self destructive march up and down every aisle of the store so as not to forget anything (which, of course, i did - kool-aid, cool whip, and chicken stock). my ankle was in tatters.
home for about an hour and i got a phone call from my husband who was on his way home and worried about making it in time for us to get ready for the evenings activities (about which i had entirely forgotten until his call, and for which i was, most definitely, not prepared). shudder. with screaming head and ankle i tried (ultimately in vain) to steel myself for an evening of dinner and bingo. i think i may have cried a little... not for my own sake, but damn i hate disappointing my husband. within minutes of being in the house he knew i didn't relish the idea of going. moments after that he graciously opted not only me, but himself, out of the plans, and spent the time, instead, being present for me and the baby. ooh, i love him so.
saturday night i hobbled around the house trying to make a better than pretty good dinner, my husband helped. it was slightly better than pretty good (one of my cooking experiments... suffice it to say, I will not be serving rice noodles any time again soon).

Pajama Sunday
got up, got outta bed, dragged the cat across my head.
went downstairs and made my favorite new Sunday breakfast, french toasted crumpets. utterly delectable.


after breakfast we took the baby out to make a snowman of her very own (it took no less than 10 minutes to convince her that her stuffed "frosty" couldn't come out with us) the end result was pretty impressive, considering the absolute minimum of snow (about 2 inches out of the "up to 8" we were promised) and the cold (pack inhibitor) and the fact that it was actually two adults over 30 (and not our pre-two year old, who would have certainly done a much better job without us) building the thing. it took another 10 to 15 minutes to convince her to come in (and that she couldn't bring her snowman, because he'd melt)

making dessert, making and eating lunch, a little play time, and just about the crankiest 21 month old in the house later and my husband and daughter and i were on the road, questing for a nap and some chicken stock (i also remembered the kool-aid, and some after-thought carrots, but still no cool whip). she napped for about 45 minutes (at 5-6 pm this is exactly the amount she requires to be utterly sleepless at bedtime). the minute we got home she woke up, and immediately resumed her pre-drive pleas to build another sneman. fortunately it was just getting dark enough that she bought the "too dark, maybe another day" argument (quite honestly, i do hope we get another day - resplendent in fat fluffy snow - and can build her a proper snowman - before winter is officially over). dinner, dishes, and bathtime gone and the drama of bedtime. she actually went down easier than i had expected, but it was still a battle.

this week is going to be busy. THIS is actually the week i'm going to attempt to give blood. i also have about a dozen birthday cards and two birthday gifts to find the time to purchase. add to that that this week is Elmo's coloring book and a new slew of work to get through, and - wow - i'm so looking forward to the weekend...


No comments: