12 January 2006

switcharoo

early in 2003 when we started dating, i used to be the one who would stay up all night - mostly driving, or wanting to talk - and then nap for an hour or so and get up to start my day.

i kept this up the entire time we were dating... almost.

then we got married.
and suddenly - along with the advancement of the pregnancy - in which nothing happened suddenly - i was utterly unable to stay awake at night (except of course the night before the induction, which, i believe, was the last night i willingly stayed up all night and then after a short nap started the next day, which WAS ridiculous, because after all, you're supposed to ENSURE that you get buttloads of sleep the night before you have your baby and all...)

there have been times, of course, when the woeful crying of my daughter has kept me up all night, or for the better part of the night... and times since then when her somnabatics and bad dreams have done the same... but for the most part, these days, i'm in bed by 9:30 or 10, and asleep by 10 or 10:30. I usually get a good 7 to 8 hours of sleep on weeknights, more on weekends if the baby complies (which she usually does). i can function with less... usually, especially on weekends.

last night my darling husband, who used to be the one drifting off by 10pm - in the middle of conversations no less - stayed up until my alarm went off this morning. he'll be awake in another hour or maybe an hour and a half to go on with his work day. it's not the first time he's done this, and i have the very distinct feeling that it won't be the last.

certainly i could blame the baby for my change in sleep pattern, but that doesn't explain away my husbands. so, just this once, rather than pinning it all on the smidge, i'm going to go out on a limb and say, with almost absolute confidence, that my beloved mate went and pulled a switcheroo on me, stole my nocturnal me, and gave me the powers of sleep-amoeba.

No comments: