10 January 2006

mo' doe

i have some extra minutes

i thought i'd regale you all with a little more about me.

diet and weightloss:
for the last almost 4 weeks i have been eating salads for the majority of my lunches. plain salads, no meat, no cheese, and ultra-low-fat salad dressing. every now and again, to fill the occasional void, lunch is accompanied by a cup of ultra-nothing chicken broth and knudles (my krab spelling for what they expect to pass as noodles in this "soup"). on the whole, my average daily lunch rings in at about 50 calories. it's how i'm dealing with the urge to lose weight AND have a healthy, normal looking dinner with my daughter nightly. (breakfast - at least for the winter - is oatmeal, an ounce of 2% milk, and 1/2 teaspoon of splenda brown sugar - which is something like 200 calories all told) i take a lot of vitamins, calcium supplement, and have a couple of low cal snaks during the rest of the day between now and dinner. i still don't work out. mostly because i'm lazy, though i like to blame it on the baby and how i already spend enough time away from her... let's none of us mention that i work on the 9th floor of a building equipped with stairways and a parking lot big enough that i could easily rack up several hundred steps a day getting to and from my car. to "make up for" this laziness, i fidget and prohibit the use of the back of my office chair... the latter only until i can sort through the detritus of the garage and find my yoga ball (what i've previously used as a chair until the people who think they know what's best for me came and took it away).

results of the weekend:
i have two burns on my left hand courtesy of the elements at the top of the little oven while attempting to retrieve toast
i have a fairly deep bruise on my right knee - a gift from mother nature who apparently diapproved of my participation in the hacking apart of her well-wrought trees
i discovered that with a little help my husband can make a particularly butt-kickin' pot roast

self discovery:
i like lip-gloss... again, i suppose. i used to use it in gradeschool - even some in high school, come to think of it. then after discovering the wonders of rum-raisin and british red coat and anything else dark or red lipsticks , i decided that the translucence and usual gooiness of shiney weren't really for me. a "Tarte" sample pack (a holiday gift from my mom) led me to believe otherwise lately. point to ponder - this could be merely because lately i've been going absolutely makeup free, and lipgloss might actually be my gateway cosmetic...

pensive, pending:
a little over a year ago i arrived at the conclusion that an old friend and i had little enough in common and that we were moving in such opposite directions that it would be best if i simply absented myself from her life. there are still some things that keep me from contacting her - cheif among them being my increasing desire to keep my social level on my own terms (as much as possible) - but i still think of her and there are some occasions when i find myself almost wanting to let her know. i don't think we'll ever be friends again - almost certainly never the kind of friends we were "way back when..." - but i have a candle burning for her.

laundry update:
i am wearing my christmas clothes, primarily because i don't have all that many clean clothes left in my wardrobe. tonight is laundry night. my husband is bringing dinner home with him so i don't have to cook, and i'm swearing off tv until i get at least one load of laundry taken care of. fortunately my daughter enjoys doing laundry (you should see how she folds a towel - um, something like folding anyway) and i can keep her occupied with me while i'm doing it.

i think that's it, end of update... at least for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Fin--

As a little FYI on the diet front:

My sister had a spinal fusion done just before Christmas. This has (of course) left her pretty immobilized. She CAN (and does) get up and walk around, but she can't lift anything or do ANYTHING strenuous. As her activity level has dropped to couch potato, she adjusted her food intake to reflect it. She was eating just under 1200 calories a day.

She gained 6 pounds in the first 2 weeks post-surgery.

She went back to her calculations and added 250 calories a day for the reason that when you deprive your body of caloric intake, your metabolism 'shuts down' because it thinks that you're starving. (For all that's said, your body is just a machine and doesn't care how it looks in swimwear.)

She has now lost those said 6 pounds and a couple more.

So, my advice is to NOT do a 50 calorie lunch. From all that I've read/heard, with a sedentary life, it's best to eat your bigger meal early in the day (lunch) than later (dinner). L won't care if Mama eats a salad and some fruit for dinner while she munches on potroast.

I have LOTS of useless diet facts. (As I lack the willpower to actually follow a diet...)

xoxoxoxo
--Kim R

Kassi Gilbert said...

I lack the willpower to follow a diet as well, but I agree with Kim about the big meal first and the light meal later. :) I'm happy for you that you are taking all these positive steps for a healthier you!

xo