05 April 2005

More from ...The Sea

Ok. I'm pleased to anounce that now that I've gotten in over my knees, The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with The Sea isn't all that bad.

I'm almost done with it and have finally come to have at least a peripheral interest in the characters.

This is not at all how I usually read a book.

Typically, I can (and do) associate deeply with at least one character, actually giving a damn about what decisions they make and whether or not they follow through on them. With this book, I am very much the spectator, watching these known-strangers move through their motives with about the same interest I begrudgingly afford a police officer issuing a speeding citation on my way from work to home.

I'll be glad to be done with it - probably tomorrow - and to wash my hands of this sea.

No comments: