27 July 2005

Passage

My grandmother is dying.

She's yearned, for years, to find herself at death's door. Her commentary on her desire to leave this world began at about the same time as the onset of the Alzheimer's... and to me it made a lot of sense considering most of her happiness and solace was found in words and her own thoughts. She was a devout Catholic as well... I can only imagine her heartache when she couldn't remember the words to her prayers, and later when she couldn't remember, even, that she was praying at all.

I'm fairly certain she won't live much longer than this week and for her sake, I'm glad.

My spirituality tells me that she is poised to move into a new phase of being... and my hope for her is that it is one where she is awash in words and brilliant sparkling thoughts and full, rich conversations and lush, vivid memories.

2 comments:

Kassi Gilbert said...

Solace. I pray this for you, your family, and your grandmother.

m said...

You have beautiful hopes for your grandmother. I hope her passage into the next is as peaceful and gentle as it can be.