24 May 2006

shh, shh, she's coming... everybody hide

no one was surprised yesterday when my Keirsey sorter advised that i am introverted... i'm quite possibly the least social person on my floor, possibly even in my department. don't get me wrong, generally i like people (some days) and - especially one on one - i can derive great pleasure from conversation and company. still, i definitely like my own company... almost best of all.

a good surprise... even though the queen of requests is still at my ankles, yesterday she asked if i could teach her how to find some info herself. we have an hour book this morning to walk her through some of the simpler stuff.

a chilling surprise... after getting home and leaving the front porch open for exploration while i dressed the girl and got ready for a quick trip to the grocery store, my cat went out to enjoy the (finally) fine weather. i SWEAR i looked for him all across the porch (except in the baby's play tent, WHY would he go in there?) before we left. on returning (and opening the car doors) the better part of an hour and half later, i heard the painfully familiar plaintive cries of my darling g-man as he came out of the play tent and across the porch to stand, all accusation, in front of the door begging to go into the house.

backstory - - Ghengis is, by his own choice, an indoor cat. this is because once, when he was very new, a friend who was watching my house (and cat) for a weekend, in the middle of december, inadvertantly let him out, and left him out when he left on Sunday afternoon. by the time i got home on Sunday evening, gg was very VERY cold and utterly miserably, and completely decided against the outdoors as a general rule. after MANY years of slowly working on him to enjoy the outdoors, he's recently taken to hanging out with me on the front porch - with it gated and the front door propped open so that he can return to the comfortable confines of his indoor life at his will. no kidding, the minute the front door is closed - - accidentally of course - - he's standing at the threshold grousing to get in.

still - the trauma for me of finding him out on the porch wasn't as much that he was outside, but that the front porch gate was wide open... had something caught his fancy and led him into the woods, he could have been gone gone gone, and the completely destructive force of an already less than good day would have been complete.

opting against pushing my luck, i had a quick cup of soup, a good cry - - as much from exhaustion as stress and woe - - and went to bed.

i'm spending the rest of the day (well, apart from the time i spend training the queen of requests) looking for zen...

2 comments:

Kimba said...

Oh Poor Genghis! I'm glad nothing bad came to pass!

Anonymous said...

Cat ownership is never dull. P.T. went out the front door (unbeknownst to me or anyone else) and I don't know how much time had passed, but I noticed her meowing to come in a the back door. She's a clever rogue, but since then we are much more watchful about the front or back door being opened around her.