30 September 2005

Weekend...

It's quarter past seven on Friday morning and the sky is still black. The morning air is crisp with the onset of autumn, and I'm giddy for the weekend.

Tomorrow my friend Q and my daughter and I are embarking on our annual (though it seems to happen about every OTHER year these days) one-day (for the baby's sake) colour tour. For Q and I it's a return to our roots, as our destination is where we "landed" the first time we did this. It's called Uncle John's Cider Mill and I totally anticipate it being a LOT of fun.
My friend Q is a veritable font of everything good in a friend: she's funny, she's honest, she's profound, she's silly, and most and best of all, she makes me feel REALLY good about who I am.
My daughter absolutely LOVES the outdoors, and between the cider, donuts, train ride, wagon ride to the pick your own pumpkin patch, and corn maze, she will be in her glory tomorrow.

My only REAL concern right now is the traffic we'll likely face, as tomorrow is also the Great Michigan College Football Rivalry Game - where Q's alma mater (and my husband's) the University of Michigan will be battling it out against my old boss's and my friend Belle's alma mater Michigan State University. They're playing in East Lansing... which is due north of Uncle John's - on the same route as Uncle John's.

But what's a little traffic on a "don't have to rush to get there because we don't have a time line" kind of day?

Sunday is most likely going to be a day of lumber. We still have a significant number of trees that need to be cut into fireplace size so that they're ready for the log splitter... not to mention a significant number of trees that still need to be cut down and dragged to the wood pile... not to mention a wood "shed" that needs to be repaired, second and third and likely fourth and fifth storage areas that need to be "constructed", and all sorts of other winter preparations that need to be made before we're doing it in the snow.

I have a suspicion that we're going to be purchasing a high powered log splitter this year, instead of renting... but I could be wrong.

Ok - people are starting to arrive...

Have a great day - and a butt-kick weekend!

No comments: