04 October 2005

1954

My morning commute really seems to be a source of inspiration for me. It's possible this is because I'm partly still asleep during, and much of what I see injects itself into my subconscious for further, later, consideration... or maybe it's just so dreadfully early in the morning that nothing else has really impacted my brain (life until work is - fortunately - fairly routine).

Anywho.

This morning, just as I was drawing the drive to a close, I noticed a sleek black Corvette with a license plate that read, simply, 1954. It most certainly was not the year in which the car was "born". Upon further (albeit hindered by dark morning sky coupled with tinted windows - ugh!) inspection, I concluded that it must be the birth year of the man driving the car.

It got me to wondering about my own midlife crisis, and how it will manifest.

I sometimes wonder if my decision for motherhood wasn't something of an early-stage indicator of oncoming crisis. But if I'm considering 50 midlife (optimistic aren't I?) then my early-stage hit about 17 years early... which is pretty serious pre-planning - even for me.

When I'm 50 my daughter will be 15.

Maybe her teen years will provide some insight into weathering the storm of uncertainty and self-actualization on the other end of the spectrum. Maybe I will be one of those beautifully gracious and graceful mom's who learns as much as I teach. Maybe I will have my moment of epiphany when she advises me that I need to "get over it, and come have some fun."

I'm not fussed... but it IS fun to think about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what my mid-life crisis will be (and as my family are not long-lived, I may just be in it now!), but I'm hoping to develop some kind of dementia when I'm an old lady.

Not the mean, ugly kind of dementia, but the kind that has a stuffed animal put on wheels so that she can pull it around the nursing home with her. You know, the 'loopy' kind of dementia.

If I have to, I'll just pretend. That may be more fun, anyway...

xoxoxo
--Kim Rife

Unknown said...

I have linked you. Great site!