22 September 2005

Poetry, Size, and Videotape

I heard once, I think it was in Abelard and Heloise, a lovely definition of Poetry...
Poetry is a mirror held to truth.
I've actually believe that to be true of all art... but that's beside the point.

Tuesday when I got home from work my family and I gathered 'round the television to watch videos of my daughter that they took that day at the grand opening of the Northville/Maybury State Park farm. My father has worked on this project almost exclusively since early this year. It's a great source of pride for him (I am proud of what he's done there as well) and it was a celebratory moment for he and his friends who put in many months of hard work.

By the way - my daughter had a rollicking good time - playing with horses, scaring turkeys, and dancing her little hiney off to the pounding groove of a dulcimer (and other instruments in a thrown together country band).

Anywho - while we were watching THOSE videos, we also took a quick break to look at some videos we'd take earlier in the year: one with her in bed with me, and a couple of us in the swimming pool. And - well - it was an awakening.

I had NO idea - not really - of how much weight I've gained... how gelatinous my stomach and thighs are... that I have fat rolls ON MY BACK. {shudder}

And if that wasn't incentive enough... yesterday mom came home with vacation photos. Vacation At The Beach photos, to be precise. I have two words:

NOT PRETTY

On the heels of these two words come a few, final, more.

I AM GOING ON A DIET AND EXERCISE PROGRAM.

I figure if I get you all involved in it with me, there's hope - a fleeting chance - that I will stick with it and actually do more than TALK about taking better care of myself. After all, Blogging it means I now have accoutablitiy for it.... right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Fin--

You are beautiful no matter what size you are!

That being said, I will join your "beauty in smaller packaging" program. I could use to un-biggie-size myself as well.

--Kim Rife

PS--Wait until you see Anna!! She is tiny and my new hero!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.