07 September 2007

Oh the Gratification of it all...

my anniversary gift from my husband. we have matching ones. i cannot wait to register him, train him, and get love-nudges through the days....

and i've reinstated my ball at the office. a while back i decided that a yoga ball (instead of a desk chair) would be beneficial for my posture and a ward against neck/shoulder/back/wrist pain. it worked a charm, i'll have you know (not to mention how wonderfully fun it is to be able to bounce whilst concentrating on a particularly perplexing proposition). shortly thereafter the wicked witch of the west became our new boss, and the ball was banned (for my own protection - they certainly didn't want me taking a fall and cracking my noggin - - on THEIR time). I even offered to sign a waiver stating that i knew the health risks involved in sitting on a surface as unstable as a yoga ball and that i would in no way hold them responsible for any harm that might come to me as a result of such. i explained that the ball had improved my attitude and corrected issues with back pain. they advised me that the company offers on-line counseling for stress and other emotional issues, and that if my back were a serious medical concern, that I could have my doctor prescribe a special chair that they would purchase for me. thing is, fun and self-expression are serious contraband under the purview of the wwotw, and nothing short of a lawsuit would allow me to have a yoga ball as a seat.
anywho - it's been almost 3 years since i moved to my new position - same company. i have an office here, with walls and a door. it's crossed my mind to bring the ball back but, truth be told, i've been afraid of facing the same profound sadness if i were to bring it back and lose it again. seriously folks, this thing rocks my world.
what changed my mind? my husband's recent trip to New York. while there he got a peek into the offices of Google where he noted that several of the folks there were sitting on - yep, you guessed it, yoga balls. that was it. i couldn't stand it any more. last weekend my mom and i went out shopping and, oh the joy of serendipity, they had one on sale for about half the usual price. i bought it, i brought it in, i blew it up (with a hand pump - no lung power like that here), and now it delivers the buoyancy and liberation i had so desperately missed.

not sure what it is about the folks at Google that made me feel like *I* should be equally empowered, and yeah, i still worry about all the kings men coming up here and giving me the "we thought we already told you about this" speech... but for now, my office seating situation is a total ball!

and finally - to end on an up note - - in another hour i'll be out of the office on my way home, to pack our bags for the weekend away. woo hoo!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if I could bring MY yoga ball in to work....doubtful, even with my employer being as progressive as they are..

But you did inspire me to bring it down stairs and sit on it while I watch TV (or game). we have to get our kicks in when we can.

Kimba said...

I am SO glad you have your ball back! I remember how frustrated you were when that all went down. I use my ball at my desk at home, and I agree, it makes working on things SOO much better! (I wish I could have one at work...but since I'm the "face of the museum" I can't have ANYTHING person on my desk. GRRR.)

Anonymous said...

Great blog!

LauraJ said...

Dear Fin, I found your comment on SkullaDay and was delighted someone else thinks about those comment codes. (This one is sbtfiq, which, from the q at the end looks Morrocan to me).