21 September 2007

4 Hours...

my husband has me reading "the 4 hour work week", actually listening to it on CD. it's an alternative to my morning NPR... i'm good with it.

the most valuable lesson so far has been a reminder of a rule that i used to practice avidly:

Focus on improving what you do well, instead of trying to fix what you do not do well.

When i was young - - actually until i became a drone of corporate america, i lived this principle. Not only did i not focus on fixing what I could not do well, i removed it from my repertoire all together.

If someone asked me if i did "x" and I was not good at it, i said "no, i'm no good at it."

AND NO ONE EVER QUESTIONED ME.

Now, i'm spending time trying to figure out how to "develop relationships" with people who really don't care about much except when they can expect their numbers. Why do i need to be developing a relationship with any of these folks? I'm an ANALYST for pete's sake.
No one expects analysts to be good at relationships.
No one expects analysts to have relationships.

Next time someone asks, i think i'm going to say "i'm no good at it."
and see what happens.

No comments: