24 May 2005

Climate Change

My boss got a new job. This is a good/bad thing.

It's good for him in that he'll be able to move on to greener, more amenable pastures. He'll be happy and I'll have a contact in a new department... one in which I previously had no friends.

It has the distinct possibility of being bad in that there's really no knowing who's going to try to fill his shoes. I mean, yeah, there's the off chance that the person coming in would be really great. There's the off chance that the person coming in would already have some idea of what it is that we do, how we do it, and why. There's also the very real threat that the person coming in will suck.

This is the bad part. If the person coming in sucks, it will mean months of hand-holding and self-justification for me and my team, as we attempt to break in the new kid, show him or her the ropes, and make it as clear as possible that THIS is not a position where you're going to make the world a better, or less expensive, or more efficient place.

As for me??? I'm actively looking for work in another department. I'd like to break loose before all hell does.

No comments: