03 May 2005

BreastFeeding Breakdown

Original plan:
Stop nursing, stop pumping, stop all methods of breastfeeding at 1 year.

Results:
Agonies of pain, a grumpy / sad / otherwise moody me, a baby not overly fussed but missing the mommy time.

Actions:
Returned (last night) to "don't offer, don't deny" nursing routine - ONLY when I am at home (i.e. no pumping).

Current Results:
Pain relief, mood improvement, and a (to me) distinctly happier baby

Future Plan:
Continue on this route until
a) feedings drop off naturally (i.e. she gets too busy to take the time to crawl up on my lap to have some milk)
b) I feel ready to break the bond and suffer the "fullness" and cut her off again - though more slowly this time
c) she starts school (ha ha ha)

Obviously I feel better about it, I'm actually able to embrace a sense of humor instead of moping off somewhere to have a cry because I could actually think something so cruel about it.

1 comment:

Kassi Gilbert said...

I went cold turkey...it sucked.