09 May 2005

Any Excuse

Mother's day this year really woke me up.

I'm not sure which of our non-religious holidays are creations of Hallmark and which have National roots, and so forth. To be quite honest, I don't really care.

I like the idea of having an excuse - because no one really NEEDS a reason - to celebrate the specialness of a family member or a loved one, or to stand up and be proud of people who maybe you don't even know but who did really great and/or interesting things.

I don't buy (or even make anymore, alas) many cards, and I'm not overly fussed, for myself, over the whole gift thing. But I most emphatically embrace the idea of showing a little extra regard, or sharing some bonus-pampering, or even just giving way to the whims of the person whose honor the day respects.

I think it would be cool if we had more of those days... probably we do, and I've just sort of blown them off, not paying attention. Even if we do - or don't - I think I might start designating some... just to take the time.

I'm going to work on my calendar...

No comments: