24 October 2005

Bogged

Autumn in general, October specifically, is my favourite time of year. Totally...

I love the crisp in the air
I enjoy the fact that the "nights" are longer and that sometime around Hallowe'en we earn another hour in the day
I love hayrides (though I'm allergic), fallen leaves (though I am allergic), and the wafting aroma of wood burning in fireplaces.
I even enjoy cutting and splitting firewood (all done, mind you, with LOTS of mechanical assistance!).

I simply ADORE Hallowe'en (the ONLY holiday during which (witch?) NO ONE is obliged to cook, buy presents, or otherwise entertain anyone one might otherwise be obliged to... not to mention the wonderful prospect of dressing up, having fun, and getting the bejeebers (my mother's word) scared out of one.

Unfortunately, it is also THE time of year for me to overcommit myself. Between making costumes, decorating, baking (an absolute MUST at this time of year), hay rides, haunted housing, cutting and splitting wood, raking leaves, sitting in front of wonderfully toasty fires, attending parties, going for long winding drives to fill myself with awe at the beauty of the changing trees AND holding down a full time job, there just isn't enough time to do everything I REALLY REALLY want to do.

Already more than once I have actually found myself counting down the minutes until the end of the work day to get myself out of the office and into the crisp air, into the symphony of the wonderful tasks and events and occasions and doings that home holds.

My work isn't suffering - yet... but I can definitely feel the Autumn-Magnetism pulling at me, drawing more and more of my mental energies away from the dry business of numbers and analysis and deeper into the dark corners of Hallowe'en costumes, and the warm cozy aromas of autumn baking.

I don't want the European August... but I wouldn't mind commuting it to the USA October...

No comments: