07 July 2008

Natsubate

no - it's nothing naughty. it's Japanese for "summer fatigue".
i suffer it every year... some worse than others. basically, it means that just about every summer, for a few weeks (at least) i'm right there among the ranks of the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome sufferers.

those of you who know me KNOW that i'm not a sleeper... sleep is for the weak, rest is for the dead...

and yet, this past couple of weeks, i've been achingly struggling through the afternoon, fighting (and sometimes losing the fight) the strong urge to rest my head and take a "short" nap (of 3 hours or so).

a recent trip to Wikipedia has rendered the Epstein Barr diagnosis useless. after looking (hard) at the articles about Natsubate, i'm not sure it's that either... (not enough air conditioning to make it so).

i write this as i find myself really struggling to keep my eyes open and myself "in gear" for the afternoon of lawn mowing that faces me. (it's not just chor-iented either, as i found myself awakening at 8pm on the 4th after just settling down to rest my head for a wee bit at 5 that same afternoon - - with not a chore on the docket).

i should really write these days down in my calendar... and see if i can find some pattern year over year...
in the meantime, i'm just going to rest my eyes for a minute...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I honestly believe that I suffer from Reverse Seasonal Affective Disorder. Rather than feeling down, lackluster, and grumpy when the days are short and temperatures cold, I feel miserable in the hot, humid summer. I always have.

It starts somewhere in mid-May and will last until September.

I don't really know if it's any worse this year.

Hang in there, Sloopy! We'll get through this together!!