26 November 2007

New Daring Baker

I'm a newbie to the Daring Bakers - - this month, my first month - - and a great experiment with Tender Potato Bread.

I've been baking since I was knee-high, and love it. I grew up on home baked bread (didn't know from WonderBread until my friend introduced me - - i'm still not a fan). This summer I decided that our "main loaf" of bread in the house - at all times - would be home made. And yet, this was my first foray into Potato Bread.

The photos below should tell you why:
The recipe and the spud - who knew ONE potato could weigh enough to feed an entire loaf of bread?

Sponge - nice and yeasty and full of bubbley goodness. So far, things are looking great, and I'm wondering why those braver than I were complaining about this recipe.

The source of all complaining. This was the gummiest, stickest, meanest "ball" of bread dough that I've ever laid hands on. The "ewww" factor here was palpable. For the better part of an hour I was NOT AT ALL friendly to anyone even coming near the kitchen.

FINALLY rising - and looking (and feeling) something like I've come to expect bread to feel. I have to admit that *I* feel, here, like I've conquered the beast, and am finally in control of my kitchen again.

Finally done...


the rolls, and the bread bowls - filled with a really nice homemade chili and served warm. This was the best.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand the eeewww factor - I hate getting my hands dirty so this challenge was really a challenge :)

Your rolls look lovely!

breadchick said...

Great job on your first challenge. The rolls looks wonderful and the bread bowls were great with that chili I bet. Welcome aboard.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your very first challenge! I love that you grew up baking ... that's such a beautiful thing! Well done!

Peabody said...

Your rolls look gorgeous.

Deborah said...

Wonderful job battling the stickiness on your first challenge!!

Helene said...

Great job on the challenge, your rolls turned out great! Welcome to the DBs!

Gretchen Noelle said...

These rolls look delicious! Congrats on your first DB challenge! I certainly felt like the bread overtook my kitchen that day as well!

Christine said...

Congrats on your first challenge! Your rolls have the most scrumptious brown crust.

Christina ~ She Runs, She Eats

April said...

congrats on completing your first DBer challenge!! Well done and welcome to the group!

Jen Yu said...

Oh! That sticky hands pic is priceless!! You did a lovely job on the rolls and I am intrigued with the bread bowl idea. Wow!! Excellent work.

-jen at use real butter

Fruit tart said...

Your rolls look lovely and I'm sure the bread bowls were fabulous with chili.

Elle said...

Great idea to do bread bowls. I agree that I was not a happy camper with how sticky the dough was and how long it took to become what was reasonably a ball of bread dough and not some icky creature. You rolls are beautiful! Glad you are a Daring Baker!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Well done! Your breads look great!

Cheers,

Rosa

Julie said...

Congratulations on your first challenge and for surviving the mean dough! These must've tasted so awesome, filled with chili!!!