20 May 2009

broad side

I'm researching barn door hardware.

The garden shed / barn out back needs an update. It's an awesome little barn that up until a gardening makeover I had been taking for granted. Now that the weed-bed behind it has been turned into a very pretty little garden, I'm all about giving some much needed love to the shed.

It wants a coat or two of red paint and white trim.
It NEEDS a new set of doors.
The current doors are (apart from falling apart) hinged and beat the crap out of the pretty flowers I plant on either side of them.
So I'm investigating sliding doors and hardware. The doors should be pretty easy - we'll make them out of 2-by and strap them together - good old-fashioned barn doors. The hardware, I'm sort of struggling with. I think I have the entire list together, but I'm not sure. And then, whatever we get track wise, I'm thinking I'm going to paint - because galvanized is just ugly. I'm thinking I'm going to paint it black... so that it stands out.

And I want a window... but that's likely a later project.

We're also toying with the notion of building new porch steps (out of trex) for the front porch.

And we need a new roof.
And windows.
and plumbing.
and electrical.
and a new laundry room floor.
and a new bathroom.

sigh.

2 comments:

Kimba said...

That's exciting though! I put in the veggie garden out back this week, and some flowers too...my "Vulgarian Garden"...these crazy "columbine vulgaris" that are deep, deep purple, something called "ostrich plumes", black violas...it's kinda cool! Miss you. LOTS.

Kassi Gilbert said...

would you build me a house while you are at it? :)